In the past year or two, I have really taken up my running and training a lot more. You may have seen from my Instagram that I’ve recently done the Run to the Beat 10k at Wembley and the Colour Run 5k at the London Olympics Park – both of which were so much fun and I highly recommend! I’m no expert, but quite clearly food and nutrition is just as much a part of training as exercise is and I’m always looking for ways to make yummy, healthy meals. Probably my favourite meal of the day is breakfast and I always take the time over it to make it both delicious and nutritious! So introducing one of my new meals…the banana nut pancakes!
- 1 very ripe banana
- 50g ground almonds
- 1 egg
- 1tbsp milk
- 1tbsp chopped walnuts
- 1 tbsp Greek yoghurt
- 1 tsp honey
1) Mash the ripe banana in a medium bowl and mix in the almonds
2) Beat in the egg and pour in the milk to make a pancake-like batter and pour into a measuring jug.
3) Spray some oil into a frying pan and pour the pancake mixture (unlike standard pancakes, these keep their shape a lot more once poured so pour the mixture to desired size). This mixture should make two large pancakes.
4) After a couple of minutes (keeping an eye on the bottom!), flip the pancake over to cook the other side.
5) Once finished, place on a plate and adorn with the yoghurt, honey and nuts.
This was my first attempt and so was slightly burnt as I wanted to make sure the batter was cooked all the way through but hopefully yours will look a little prettier!
I also added some blueberries too!
A breakfast with a good balance of carbohydrate and protein and so the perfect meal before a busy day or a big workout (not to mention yummy!)